Thursday, April 17, 2008

Blog all day… Blog all night

When I decided to become a blogger, I took note of some potential challenges to my new pastime: money for café visits being the chief one.

Then I got a laptop and found out I live within range of a commercial hotspot. Nice. Then I came to work with my new toy one day and found out our neighbors have a free Wi-Fi thing going for their staff. Nicer. So browsing money is no longer a problem, most times.

Blogging now has new challenges chief of which is the perennial (a foreign paper called it "perplexing") power problem called PHCN. Once the power goes, my time becomes limited to however long it takes me to wrap up my thought flow before the laptop yawns into darkness.

I'm also beginning to realize how much the power challenges influence my blog content.

Blogging in the darkness of my home at night brings out this guerrilla mentality. I feel like the underdog in a fight and sometimes, like an underdog, I feel like I'm losing.

So out comes the rage of the repressed and it fuels my righteous rage at any and all perceived injustices and abuse. It also fuels my expressions of pain and despair.



Switch on the power and suddenly, the world is a better place. I'm more likely to be optimistic and inclined to see the good that our leaders are doing. I'll connect with friends on Facebook, chat with a buddy across the globe and say a prayer for world peace. Ok not quite world peace, but you get the picture.



Simply put, I realize that my worldview sometimes depends on whether I sit in darkness or light and on whether my air-conditioner is contributing heat or chilling the room. I only wish we Nigerians at home would realize that this is probably true of many of us Nigerians at home. If we understood this, then we Nigerians at home would also realize that it is up to all of us Nigerians at home to face our respective responsibilities and make this a better country.

Can you guess my mood right now? Here's a hint… my air-conditioner is on but it's struggling.

(Honestly, just 5 minutes later, while proof-reading this post, PHCN took the light!)

3 comments:

Mr Starks said...

lol

Babawilly said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by. No mind Nepa jare.

Osita Nwaneri said...

Mista Jay, I feel you, but then again their name is Power Holding, no be so?
I live in yankee and here, they have neither NEPA or Power Holding so that is not an issue. The issue is the soldier-like regimented life we live here. Your meals in 56 days time and beyond depend on how well you work today, no story.
I noticed that I write good blog posts on papaer also. Try am, you go like am. That way, when you are transcribing it, taht will be proof-reading and adding stuff.