Wednesday, April 9, 2008

To all my Ass’nal Peeps

On my way to work this morning a BMW 5 series was driving a bit erratically ahead of me. The dude was moving slowly when he should have moved fast and moving side to side so I couldn't pass him. I dragged on behind fuming – I was late enough already.

BMW was moving with all the characteristics of a guy with a lot on his mind and believe me, you don't want your wheels anywhere near such a fellow's car.

I remember when my brother faced off with one such chap last year. My bro was stuck in traffic heading down constitution road when all the cars in front of him slowed rather suddenly and he had to stand on his brakes to avoid a crash. But the guy behind just ran into him like the line was still moving. Lil bro came down, looked over the car, and waited for the guy to say something. You know how we do it in Naija - no "oyibo repete", just fix am.

Anyway, the dude who hit him steps out of the car looking quite dazed. My bro tried to engage the guy in meaningful discussion but it was hopeless – the man was only physically present. It took the other two passengers in the car to explain to my bro that the guy's wife had jus miscarried their twins. In fact, the little corpses were in the boot of the car (I've wondered about that ever since I heard this tale), neither of them with him could drive so he had to drive himself in this traumatic time etc, etc.

Well, my brother is human and was extremely sympathetic but still, the car was not his and he didn't have the cheese to fix it before the owner saw it. Anyway to summarize this digression the guy paid and my car has had a strange gait ever since.

I know it's a strange tale but that's what my brother said happened. Although to be frank, lil bro could have backed the car into a fence cause he was eyeballing some chick. I guess I'll never know.

So anyway, not wanting a similar scenario, I gave BMW a wide berth – who knew whether the guy had lost twins too. That's when I noticed the Arsenal FC sticker on the back of his car.

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

I couldn't help it, I burst into laughter. An ass'nal fan! After the Gunners loss yesterday to Liverpool, no wonder he was miserable. I eventually got past him and reached the office. Now I was looking for the ass'nal fans among my colleagues. There they were, somewhat muted, but there nonetheless. One fellow had his head in his hands as though he had a headache.

Sorry o! I said to him and he immediately launched into an angry tirade about the referee, Senderos, the foolishness of leaving Cesc Fabregas alone to mark the sturdier Ryan Babel and the need to overhaul the defenses of the team.

I ached to tease and taunt him but I couldn't bear to do so lest ManYoo be jinxed.

As I went upstairs to my own office, I realized BMW had really lost twins – first the Premiers League and the Champions League. Sorry O eyin ara Ass'nal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tha's right....MAN U FOR LIFE, BABY!!
:-)