Thursday, March 8, 2007

Ghana Banana!

I made it rhyme! My title I mean. I was wondering how to narrate my pre-Ghana show jitters. Thinking back, I must confess that underneath my cool calm exterior, I was shaking more than Michael J Fox on a bad day. It seemed like i was being set up for a fall on air. Like this whole idea was one big banana peel. Sheesh!

It was to have been a breeze man. Really! But suddenly doing the show was looking like a looming fiasco with a capital F.

It all began when I decided to call someone in Ghana after their 50th Anniversary celebrations for the unofficial version of events. Know what I mean? And I had the perfect candidate. My boy Delali in Accra. I’d call him up and say hi live on air for the listening pleasure of all KDnites. Great idea, right?

Doh! Had to find credit for the call cos I didn’t know how to get that from the powers that be (besides – my idea, my show, my cross to carry I figured). Also, I’d use my own phone and zip over to Zeeten for a Ghanaian mix CD.


So, the day before. I went through my checklist:

Cash for credit? Check!

Ghanaian mixCD with VIP and others? Check!

List of questions? Nah, I’d wing it. Go with tha flow.

D-Day! And then… I got blindsided by Murphy’s law. Translation? It all went wrong. My Ghana MixCD disappeared before I got to the studio. The CD player suddenly started spinning tracks slower than an old geezer on the expressway. And I was told I wasn’t cleared for a phone-in session.

OK. Lowest Point. But one thing about life… never say die, and you don’t. Got clearance. Got alternative sounds of the system (apologies to my fans for the oldies). And made the call 30minutes later than planned.

Delali made fun of me for not calling him till I needed him for a show. Ouch! Then we talked about the numerous parties, prayer meetings, and political meetings all over the country. It was a blast!

I didn’t slip on that banana peel! And feedback on the show was good, Got a call from my man Chukwudi from “Kingdom of Messiah” ( translation: Kurmin Mashi – a suburb of Kaduna town). He gave props to the show. Man, I was ten feet tall walking out the studio.

Hah! The devil is a liar!

See ya.

PS. Happy 50th Anniversary and much love to my Ghanaian readers. Love y'all.

1 comment:

Enyinnaya Iroadumba said...

nuru is it because you are from ghana? any how sha nice title. enyinna.