Wednesday, February 9, 2011

So I watched the Superbowl...

So I watched my very first Superbowl on sunday. (Disclaimer: I'm Nigerian and have never been to the good ol' U.S of A.)

I figured that with my basic understanding of the workings of American Football (yes, it is AMERICAN Football no matter what the yanks do to market it globally) I should be able to stay awake from 12am  to 4am to watch the most purely American sporting spectacle in the world. Right? 

And I did. What a spectacle! From the awe-inspiring stadium to the celebrities to the actual players to the half-time show it was quite something. For football fans who couldn't be bothered to watch it, imagine the Champions League final with the World Cup Opening Ceremony at half-time and you get an approximation.

I watched the game and rooted for the Steelers to make good on their threatened comeback (what? Everyone roots for the underdog). But Green Bay put up a solid front to hold on and win it in the last minute. Apparently, it was nail-biting stuff.

But from what I hear, the superbowl experience for the at-home viewer is incomplete without seeing the ads. Ads? Yes, the ad(vert)s. Those glitzy, clever and freakishly expensive 30-second commercial intrusions by carmakers and moviemakers et al.

I must admit I was looking forward to the movie ads. Being denied the chance to see Chris Evans unveiled as Captain America was not... uhm.. cool. Let's leave it at that since an analysis of the base futility in staying up late in the hope of watching an advert that was already online for a movie I will see regardless of the ad is not something I wanna get into... ever.

So, since I'm such a generous fellow and I know you probably missed the whole thing - including Christina Aguilera's apparent butchering of the Star Spangled Banner, here's just a few of the Superbowl trailers for the movies I want to see. 

First off... a little (actually, a lot of) Michael Bayhem with Transformers:  


Then the gang's all back together (less Michelle Rodriguez) for Fast Five


And I'm happy that Aaron Eckhardt is (finally) getting his leading man groove on in Battle L.A.


Steven Spielberg and J.J Abrams reveal just a little bit more of Super 8


[(Daniel Craig+Harrison Ford+Olivia Wilde) Cowboys*Aliens]/ Jon Favreau = Full Theaters on July 29


Oh and I almost forgot... I think I like American Football. Deuces.

No comments: