Friday, June 6, 2008

A Nigerian Obama

This post is in reponse to one by Naijaleta. it started off as a comment on his blog but it got so big I decided not to just leave it as a comment. Hope Ahmed Babatunde Chibuzor won't mind.

Naijaleta's post reminded me of an article by Simon Kolawole of ThisDay newspapers. He referred to a trip where he listened to one of the top men overseeing the transformation in Doha (I think) outline their lofty plans and so on. He then observed that it wasn't the plans that impressed him but the fact that the fellow kept punctuating every line with the phrase "according to the vision of our leaders" like it was some kind of mantra.

When are we going to have an Obama whose vision dwarfs his achievements and experience? When are we going to have an Obama whose ability to eloquently motivate his followers draws the young and old to the challenge of changing a reluctant system?

We had an opportunity a while back to elect a visionary. Obasanjo robbed us of it. I personally believe Nigeria has its best opportunity in Donald Duke (p.s. he's from a minority tribe). The guy had a team, a dream and a plan. His was an in-depth analysis of our nation and its problems. He had laid out solutions waiting for implementation. Then he was usurped by an ill-prepared sub with a 7-point agenda.

My only consolation is that he's still young enough to contest even if Yar'Adua wangles another 4years out of the political powers that be. As for Clinton, I think the way she put Obama under pressure to adopt her as his running mate on a night when she should have been gracious and allowed the man his moment shows her as somewhat mean, selfish and (dare I say it?) b*$#@y.

She's constrained because the American political climate would never tolerate a party shift by someone of her stature. If she'd been Nigerian, she'd probably have switched parties yesterday.

5 comments:

naijaleta said...

Mista Jay, to say I feel honoured and flattered would be a complete understatement. I wanted to drop you a thank you line for making a comment on my blog only to discover that you have made it the subject-matter of your post. I am most grateful for the honour.

Manda said...

wat makes u think Duke wouldn't have been Obasanjo's boy? I blive we should just keep our fingers crossed and see how Yaradua turns out.

I am said...

@naijaleta: the honor is mine bro.

@manda: OBJ's boy or not, the fact is... the man had a plan. Yar'Adua is only making his up as he goes along. And for the record, my fingers, arms and legs are crossed. What choice do we have?

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I read your comment @ naijaleta and had to come show respect! I share your thoughts on Donald Duke.

I am always excited to read posts and comments from Nigerians who are thinking of ways to improve the nation. I will definitely be back ...

Gidan Nodza said...

Hi, interesting blog found you thru Naijalive official blog and will definitely keep my eyes this blog and have added your link on my blog @

http://houseofnodza.blogspot.com

Good luck.