Saturday, March 8, 2008

From Eadris to Muma Gee

Now I'm not trying to come off as a snob or anything but I really do think I've got pretty good taste.

I can even make bold to say that I have on occasion been consulted for my advice on a variety of subjects from clothes to cars to movies, music and even people. Normally on those last two, I wouldn't necessarily stand up to be counted as a connoisseur but c'mon… even I can spot a really bad bet.

Remember when Eadris Abdulkarim came up with what he hoped would be his hit single "Jagga Jagga"? Talk about a backlash!

It was so bad that President Obasanjo trashed his song in public. Ouch! Thank God for SSS guys or Eadris would have caught 'Baba' at an airport to give him the 50cent treatment.

So anyway, after that well-intetioned song bombed, I never thought I'd hear a song miss it that badly again. But I did!

I just happened to catch this music show on TV where Mama Gee was performing. Now I was thinking it would be nice opportunity to finally hear her sing. I'd been missing her performances and if I'd ever heard her on the radio before this, I'd never known it was her.


She began her number and I was trying to enjoy it through NTAs bad live concert-to-TV sound production. It was tough going till she got to the chorus, which came through quite clearly.


(I go shak my moi-moi… I go share the national cake… I no go chop alone… you go chop, I go chop)

I couldn't believe it!


Let me clearly state here that I'm not a music critic. I'm just a listener... with a blog... who likes to call a spade a spade and not a big spoon.

I'd really like to believe that the message of that song is that government should not withhold good things from the populace; if that was her intention, then great.

But unfortunately what came across from the song is that Mama Gee will be a more generous politician. And that only means she'll be a bigger thief who will 'chop' and turn a blind eye to others who "chop"

Songs like Mama Gee's just show that some Nigerian artistes still don't understand that they have a vital part to play in giving our nation a much needed image makeover. And that charity begins at home.

Songs that give the impression of winking at our international reputation for crime and corruption don't help matters. Actually, Olu Maintain's song 'Yahoozee' falls into this category. (But at least, that was such a cool club jam that we all forgave him).

Unfortunately, the song uses that time-tested formula for getting a hit single on the Nigerian market. By repetitively using lines like 'shak my moi-moi' and 'you go chop, I go chop', Mama Gee may have a hit with a sad moral undertone.

Believe me the system works - remember Daddy Showkey? 'Make una clap for Dyna' Yeah I thought so.

Expected more from somone with her exposure but hey, we all mess up from time to time right. By the way, having seen the way Yar'adua is handling the Health Ministry scandal, one hopes he doesn't take offence at this song!

3 comments:

pamela said...

Hey!

you have the wrong muma gee for that song. That song belongs to the popular actress Patience Uzuakor aka Mama Gee....not the musician Muma Gee

pamela said...

i just watched her live and was searching for pics for my post and found one linked to ur blog.... by way of explanation

sorry its Patience Ozokwor made famous by her role in Mama Gee in London

I am said...

thanks Pam... changes noted and made.

the actress still needs a floggin' sha